When thinking about our body and our general health, the feet are often overlooked and ignored until considerable pain or changes occur. This habit can be especially damaging for seniors, who are more likely to experience the effects of neglecting foot health at their older age. Many aches and pains are caused by ill-fitting shoes that don’t offer support. Underlying conditions, like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, weight gain, and prior injury, can also be a cause of pain. Outside of the podiatrist’s office, seniors can maintain foot health by ensuring that their feet are kept clean and by trimming their nails to an appropriate length.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Dr. Richard Silverstein from Union Foot Care. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet, and can hide many life threating medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Havre de Grace, MD. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.Read more about Elderly and their Feet