Recent research has shown the importance of children walking barefoot or wearing shoes that have a soft sole when they are beginning to walk. This will enable the development of necessary muscle strength in addition to learning sensory information that originates from the soles of the feet. The feet should be properly measured once walking commences, to ensure a proper fit for shoes. Children’s feet grow rapidly, and frequent measuring of the feet will aid in choosing shoes that fit correctly. Foot conditions may develop as a result of poorly fitting shoes. These may include ingrown toenails, blisters, or the inability to walk correctly. When shopping for shoes, it’s important for the toes to have adequate room to move around and the front of the shoe should be wider than the heel. Most children are born with flat feet and arches will form when walking begins. Please consult with a podiatrist if your child appears to be flat-footed once walking has started.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Dr. Richard Silverstein of Union Foot Care. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Havre de Grace, MD. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about What to Do to Keep Your Child’s Feet Healthy